– REV MICHAEL BRESCIANI
Reprobation is a condition of moral confusion that the scriptures say will be pervasive in the last days of time as we know it. (Romans 1: 27-32) It is a result of spiritual deprivation that always accompanies moral decline according to every historical record of man. Nations rise and fall on the outcome of this powerful and recurring social and spiritual malady.
In this clouded nether region of convoluted thinking, identifying exactly who leaders are is part and parcel to the confusion entire generations have concerning their own identities. Teens are thought to rebel and act out largely because they are struggling to ascertain their own identities.
We are not sure if politicians are crooks or statesmen, Republicans or RINO’s. Is the cop a public servant or a mobster; is the teacher an educator or a molester? Is the sports hero a role model or a drug abuser? Our failure to properly identify people is often discovered far too late. Is it too late to discover who is leading us today, or who led us to the truth in the past? We are moving dangerously close to a simple “yes” on that question. Let’s see.
In a day when minds were less muddled, a day Jesus called a “green tree” (Lk 23: 31), the single most important question ever asked was laid upon the band of twelve men who followed him daily. It was the question of the hour, and it is still the single most important question of all time. It is a question of identity.
“When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, whom do men say that I the Son of man am?” (Mt 16: 13)
His followers gave him a mixed answer that included the various opinions of the entire community. It was much like a blog response where every viewpoint is voiced, but none are definitive or completely authoritative. The disciples told Jesus that some of the people thought he was a prophet or the reincarnation of John the Baptist. Many of the people thought he was a fake and a charlatan and possibly demon-possessed. (Jn 8: 48)
Christ told them to get off the opinions of men and answer the question for themselves. In an answer as clear as the sky, the Apostle Peter answered the question in no uncertain terms for himself and those who followed Christ from day to day observing his speech and the many miracles he did.
“He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.” (Mt 16: 15, 16)
In this day of the – “dry tree,” (2 Ti 3: 1-7), identity confusion reigns but is most apparent in the strong varying views of just who our President really is. A list of seven possible identities barely covers the full range of identity questions for Barack Obama, but it is a start.
1. Is he a good old American prez or a communist? Many people think his economic policies, which tend to favor government care for all but little help for entrepreneurs and capitalists, is a clear sign that his proclivities are communistic. But none could speak with more authority than the former communists. Author Xavier Lerma, writing in Russia’s online version of Pravda, formerly the voice of communism in the old Soviet Union, compares Russian President Putin to Ronald Reagan while Obama is seen as an old line communist in policy and vision.
2. Is our president a family man or the first gay president? Newsweek emblazoned the artistically-produced likeness of Barack Obama (with a halo) on its cover with the caption “The First Gay President” in May of 2012. Gay blogger Andrew Sullivan wrote the cover story after Obama told the nation he supports gay marriage. Sullivan said Obama’s proclamation brought him to tears, even as those who understand the scriptural teaching on homosexuality were brought to tears for altogether different reasons.
3. World Net Daily’s introduction to the January Whistleblower edition said that the often-asked question about whether Obama is a Muslim has been “one of the most radioactive questions surrounding his presidency.” While no Muslim country has yet nailed Barack as a hardline Sunni or Shia Muslim, the hope he chooses to place in the Muslim Brotherhood movements in the Arab world indicate where his affections lie. If recent events in Benghazi are any reflection of Obama’s Muslim-ness, we are forced to conclude that in a showdown, American interests, her citizens, and her constitution may not count for much.
4. Is the President as genuine as a gold dollar on the bite, or is he an incredible fake? According to Sheriff Joe Arpaio and his posse, Mr. Obama is a total fraud. What was once a single issue known as the ‘birther’s question’ has burgeoned into a mystery of epic proportions. Now it’s missing school records, a fraudulent social security number, a forged selective service record, and a bevy of forensic experts claiming that the birth certificate is as phony as a three dollar bill. Just about anyone with an ounce of casual curiosity could hardly pass by all of these blaring inconsistencies without raising an eyebrow. And yet millions of voters did just that, only a few short months past.
In crowd-conscious America, what would be the easiest: to push a few conspiracy theorists off into a corner and label them all as paranoid kooks, or get over 62 million liberal-leaning voters to admit they have been willfully defrauded?
5. The question of whether Mr. Obama is a law-abiding citizen is now lost in a storm of impeachment threats, investigations, and accusations. Obama has kept lawmakers in the dark on everything from the ‘unified agenda’ to the facts about the gun-running circus called ‘Fast and Furious.’ A one-man government may look a lot better if it is run by a pop culture icon; but it is by any other name, just another dictatorship.